I believe if the general public fully understood the health implications of their food choices they’d be willing to make the change. This includes doctors who have very little nutritional training and follow the same general health guidelines the mainstream media puts out. In this day and age a healthy diet (according to the mainstream) is one low in carbs, high in animal protein, moderately high in low-fat dairy, and with a good dose of what they deem to be healthy fats. Where sugar is evil and fats are good. New science comes out everyday but it is all basically the same info that I just listed repeated in a new and exciting way. I’ve tried many of these diets…Weight Watchers, Atkins, The Wild Diet, 21 Day Fix, Lean Cuisine diet, “everything in moderation” diet, etc. And during all of these I struggled in one way or another, most not lasting longer than a month or two. But all along I continued to read and research trying to find the answers to my questions. And I can say now with more confidence than I ever had before that this whole foods plant based no oil way of eating is the real deal. And I can totally understand why friends and family aren’t on board with this way of eating. I’m sure they think it’s just another one of my new fad diets. one that I’l try to get them to try but then by the time I get them around to my new way of thinking/eating I’ve moved on to something newer and better.
But how do I know that this is the real deal? Because this isn’t new science. Evidence about this way of eating has been around for hundreds of years. In the last 50 years or so the scientific evidence has now been thoroughly researched as to why this way of eating is the best for humans. I’ve compiled a list of books, websites, and movies that do a MUCH better job of explaining why fats aren’t good for your body and actually become the fat we “wear”, why carbs/starches are amazing and healthy not to mention slimming, why sugar isn’t quite the evil we thought it was and is not the cause of type II diabetes, why animal proteins are very bad for your long term healthy, and how any dairy product is the last thing we should put into our bodies and how the calcium in milk is actually one of the worst things we can do for our bones. I know this information can be things we don’t want to hear about. I truly get it and we’ve been there (and not long ago either I might add). But ignorance is not bliss in this case. This is information we may not think is relevant now but the American healthcare system has the terrible statistics that say it’s incredibly relevant. I encourage you to not take my word for it but to find the answers for yourself. Below you will find a list of books, movies, and websites that provide you with the facts you need to really understand how the food we eat can affect everything about you.
- The China Study by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell
- The most comprehensive study of nutrition ever conducted and the startling implications for diet, weight loss, and long-term health
- The Starch Solution by John A. McDougall and Mary Mcdougall
- “John McDougall, MD, is a medical maverick who challenges medical and pharmaceutical businesses when they prioritize profits over patients. For the past 30 years he has countered mainstream misinformation with the fad-free truth and nutrition and your health.” -amazon.com biography
- The Cheese Trap by Neal Barnard
“The Cheese Trap busts open the myths of cheese as a health food and provides an eye opening, mouth shutting view of the way cheese is produced and does damage.” -Joel Kahn M.D.
- Forks Over Knifes
- “This movie combines the scientific and medical work of Dr. T. Colin Campbell, PhD Professor Emeritus in Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University, and Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstlyn, Jr., MD, surgeon at the world-renowned Cleveland Clinic, and the incredibly INSPIRING story of two FORMER heart disease patients and two FORMER diabetes patients.” -Micaela Cook
- What the Health
- “The film follows intrepid filmmaker Kip Andersen as he uncovers the secret to preventing and even reversing chronic diseases – and investigates why the nation’s leading health organizations don’t want us to know about it. With heart disease and cancer the leading causes of death in America, and diabetes at an all-time high, the film reveals possibly the largest health cover-up of our time. With the help of medical doctors, researchers, and consumer advocates, What the Health exposes the collusion and corruption in government and big business that is costing us trillions of healthcare dollars, and keeping us sick.” -whatthehealth.com/about
- A CNN video with chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta featuring former President Bill Clinton.
- Dr. Michael Greger does all the research for you! He reads all the complicated scientific journals and spits them back into plain English. His website is a non-profit website. “If I or anyone else says anything as life and death important as diet your immediate response should be show me the science!” -Dr. Greger
- Dr. McDougall ate the typical standard american diet but suffered severe consequences from that decision including a massive stroke at the age of 18. That event started him on a journey to find answers and led him to a career in the medical field. All of the information on his website is provided free of charge.
So please don’t take my word for it. I don’t want to you to do something because I told you to. I want you to do something because you learned about it yourself and decided it was the best decision for you or your family. And maybe you are at the point where you aren’t ready to change anything and that’s ok! The point is to at least take in the information. That’s a big enough step in and of itself. It took me 8 months to give it a try. It may take you longer, you have to be ready. But thank you for giving the science a chance to marinate by reading or watching anything from this list I don’t think you’ll regret it!